- This topic is empty.
-
AuthorPosts
-
-
Byron Hesketh
GuestI’m looking at a 2018 Audi S3 in Dubai Hills Estate. The car has some mods like an intake and exhaust, and the seller says it has a “stage one tune” but he’s not sure which company. I’m excited about the extra power but also worried about reliability and whether the tune has caused engine damage or voided any remaining warranty. I want to get an inspection before buying, but I’m not sure if a standard inspection can detect a tune. I found a company that offers Proficient Assessment Dubai Hills Estate and they said they can scan for TD1 codes and check if the ECU has been flashed. Has anyone here bought a tuned car and had an inspection catch something like knock counts or excessive boost? Also wondering if a tune could hide underlying mechanical issues by adjusting parameters. The car has 80k km and seems to run fine, but I’m nervous about buying someone else’s project. Should I avoid tuned cars altogether or is it safe if the inspection checks out? Any advice from people who’ve bought pre tuned cars would be great. Thanks.
-
Mortimer Quarmby
GuestHonestly I’d walk away unless the seller can name the tuner and hand over the original map. “Not sure which company” usually means it was a cheap flash from some guy’s laptop. Even a good Stage 1 on an 80k car means a clutch and DSG that have been working harder than stock.
-
Nerys Riddlesden
GuestYes, a decent shop can tell. Flash counters and checksum mismatches show up if the ECU was written to, and the software version often won’t match what Audi shipped. Where it gets tricky is when someone flashes back to stock right before a sale, so the counter is the thing to ask about.
-
Orville Smethurst
GuestBought a tuned Golf R two years back and it was fine, but only because the tuner was a known name and I got the invoice plus the dyno sheet. Ask for the same. I’d also pull the plugs and check the oil for fuel dilution, since that told me more than any scan did.
-
Priscilla Titherington
GuestAsk them to log live data on a pull, not just read stored codes. Knock retard per cylinder, boost against target, fuel trims, and timing corrections are where a bad or aggressive tune gives itself away. A tune can mask a tired high pressure fuel pump or a leaking diverter valve for a while, but the logs usually show it working too hard.
-
Quinlan Upton
GuestWhat does the warranty situation actually look like on that car? At 2018 and 80k it’s probably expired anyway, but I’d check if there’s any extended cover and whether Audi has already flagged the ECU. Also, did the seller do the tune himself or buy the car already mapped?
-
Nerys Riddlesden
GuestPrivate sale is the hard part. If the seller knew and said nothing you might have a fraud angle, but proving he knew is the problem. Did you sign anything beyond the standard transfer paperwork, and did he ever say “no accidents” in writing or even over WhatsApp?
-
-
AuthorPosts

